One hundred years ago, not only physicists, but also physicians, were focusing on light, its effects on life forms, and its therapeutic benefits to humans. It is little known that the 1903 Nobel Prize in Medicine was awarded to Niels Finsen of Denmark for his work with light, and specifically the treatment of certain skin problems and tuberculosis. Shortly after, Indian born Dinshah Gladioli, working in the U.S. with several doctors, established a relationship between colors and physiological functions. All this work corroborated the knowledge of ancient energy medicines, including Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
Ancient observation chromotherapy is a centuries-old concept. The history of color medicine is as old as that of any other medicine. Phototherapy (light therapy) was practiced in ancient Egypt, Greece, China and India. The Egyptians utilized sunlight as well as color for healing (4). Color has been investigated as medicine since 2000 BC (5). People of that era were certainly unaware of the scientific facts of colors as medicine, but they certainly had faith in healing with colors. They used primary colors (i.e. red, blue and yellow) for healing as they were unaware of the mixing up of two colors. The science seems to have been silent at those times. –From A Critical Analysis of Chromotherapy and Its Scientific Evolution
Here are just several of the functions of light in the human body:
- Entering through the eyes, the skin and the alimentary canals (by ingesting light-filled foods), light is responsible for turning on the brain and the body.
- It triggers the hypothalamus (regulating bodily functions), the autonomic nervous system, the endocrine system, the pineal gland, and the master gland of the body–the pituitary gland.
- When light triggers the pineal gland, the vastly important hormone melatonin is released. This, in part, explains why depressed people have often been deprived of light and therefore lack melatonin.
- Melatonin released once the pineal gland is triggered by light affects every single cell in the body, turning on each cell's internal activities causing vibrancy and vitality.
- The pineal gland, when triggered by light, is most effective carrying out its responsibility to cause us to feel at one with the universe, our inner being and our environment. With this harmony established, we are healthy and we feel happy. Without this harmony established, disorders and diseases may arise in our physical bodies as well as mental and emotional states.
- Klotsche, C. Colour Medicine. Arizona: Light Technology Publishing. 1993.
- A Critical Analysis of Chromotherapy and Its Scientific Evolution by Samina T. Yusuf Azeemi and S. Mohsin Raza
Newtonian ideas helped us to understand solid matter and moving objects found in the earth's gravitational field. Einstein, however, through his renowned equation E=MC² determined that energy and matter are dual expressions of the same universal substance¹. –From A Critical Analysis of Chromotherapy and Its Scientific Evolution
David Bohm, one of the great modern scientists, declared, “Matter is frozen light!”
Matter is energy at an imperceptible rate of motion.
#light-therapy #chromotherapy #chromatherapy #colortherapy #healing #health #holistic #consciousliving #consciousness