How We Can Live in Harmony with Summer as Its Mirror Reflection
"In the months of Summer there is an abundance of sunshine and rain. The Heavenly (cosmic) energy descends, and the Earthly (telluric) energy rises. When these energies merge there is an intimate connection between Heaven and Earth. As a result, plants mature and animals, flowers and fruit appear abundantly.
One may retire somewhat later at this time of year, while still arising early. One should refrain from anger and stay physically active, to keep the skin breathing and to prevent the chi from stagnating. One can indulge a bit more than in other seasons, but should not overindulge. Emotionally, it is important to be happy and easygoing and not hold grudges, so that the energy can flow freely and communicate between the external and internal. In this way, illness may be averted in the Fall. The Summer season of Fire and Heart also encompasses late Summer, which corresponds to the Earth element. Problems in the Summer will cause injury to the heart and will manifest in the Fall.
Spring is the beginning of things, when the energy should be kept open and fluid; Summer opens up further into an exchange or communication between internal and external energies…
In the Summer, if too much sweating occurs in the heat, the chi will escape, the breath will become course and rapid, and one will feel irritable. This happens when heat attacks the exterior. If Summer heat attacks and enters the interior, it will affect the mind and spirit, causing confusion, mumbling and fever. For relief, the pores must be opened to release the heat.
In Summer, the weather is generally hot, and when there is extreme heat it produces Fire, which can burn and char things, producing the bitter taste. Bitter-tasting substances can clear the Heart. the Heart governs the blood, the Fire of the Heart produces the Earth, the Heart opens to the tongue, and therefore subtle changes in the Heart can be reflected in the tongue." -- From the Neijing Suwen, The Yellow Emporer's Classic
Tips for Living the Mirror Reflection of Summer:
- The days are longer in Summer; Wake up earlier in the morning to get your fill of Summer life. When Winter comes, we'll soon realize how short-lived Summer was! Enjoy the season!
- Summer yields all kinds of luscious, colorful, vitality-laden foods; Eat the cooling foods of Summer like melons, peaches, cucumber, and fresh greens, some of which are transitory and sorely missed in colder seasons. Enjoy their flavors, textures, and nutritive gifts now, while you can!
- The sun is radiant with warmth, life, and joyful exuberance; Should anger bubble inside you, stop and take a look to see if you can’t transform it to love with the warmth of your inherent true self.
- The season is full of energy and passion; Seek out new exciting experiences and give your new discoveries your all.
- Summer is active and alive with the growth and ensuing maturity of abundant flora; Be more physically active, allowing your body to blossom with full blown energy and vitality.
- Summer is cheery; During this season, connect with what makes you laugh as often as possible. Bring colors into your environment for good cheer in all sorts of creative ways.
- Summer, in its aspect of maturity, connotes wisdom. Balance heightened levels of physical activity with spiritual practices such as conscious slow breathing techniques, meditation, and introspection for the life wisdom you seek.
- Nature is on full display in Summer; Focus on being all you can be during this season and allow yourself to blossom on full display and color!