Research before you buy! Become a conscious consumer. The following products (and more) are made entirely or partially of animal products or by-products but we've also listed vegan alternatives for you below. (Hmmm. Kids chewing on beef tallow crayons?)
- Vegan Shopping Option #1: Most obviously, the food we eat; there are fantastic plant-based alternatives that make great substitutes for meat dishes! Explore your local health food store and ask the clerks for suggestions. I recently found a fantastic black bean burger in the produce section in my local Publix supermarket.
- Vegan Shopping Option #2: Clothing, shoes, boots; wearing vegan shoes is actually on trend these days. Lulus.com makes very trendy vegan shoes, sandals and boots.
- Vegan Shopping Option #3: Cosmetics and skin and body care products (including most but not all deodorants, soaps, toothpastes, shampoos, conditioners, perfumes and colognes). We shamelessly suggest PHYTO5® skin and body care products which are all plant-based; click on SHOP.)
- Vegan Shopping Option #4: Household cleaners (including fabric softener); clean as you go so you don't create such a dirt or stain buildup you feel the only option is a potent cleaner made with animal byproducts. Method brand commonly sold in large stores is 100% vegan although its performance can sometimes be questionable.
- Vegan Shopping Option #5: Household paint (Check out http://www.unearthedpaints.com; click on About Us to see proof of vegan.)
- Vegan Shopping Option #6: Crayons (Look for Melissa and Doug triangular crayons made with plastic, not beef tallow.)
- Vegan Shopping Option #7: Capsules for nutritional supplements (unless you expressly buy vegan, gelatin-free encapsulated); you can buy a hand encapsulator and veg capsules at your local health food store to make your own.
- Vegan Shopping Option #8: Adhesives (search for Weldbond vegan glue; it's non-toxic, nonflammable, free of fumes, has low VOCs, is created without animal by-products and is environmentally friendly).
From handbags to vegan leather, check out PETA's recommendations for shopping.
From cruelty-free homes to what to do when you find an abandoned baby bird to trophy animals PETA actually recommends you hang on your walls, check out this super valuable info.
From vegan road tripping to how to go vegan at Disney to eating vegan at sports stadiums across the country, go here for fantastic tips.