Buying Organic Skincare Made In Switzerland Assures Authenticity
In many countries (including the U.S.), skincare product manufacturers are not inspected for good manufacturing practice and neither are the ingredients they use.
Since there are thousands of untested ingredients used in skincare products, consumers should be really concerned about how suitable the products are for use on their bodies. Some may actually pose dangers to your health.
In today's world of "info.-by-internet," there are all kinds of misinformation posted by people who will benefit from it and which internet searchers buy as valid and correct.
If you buy organic products made in a country like Switzerland, you can be assured it goes through a multi-tier certification process, much more so than in the U.S. Add the final step of USDA organic certification once the products reaches the country and you and your product are virtually assured of its authenticity and benefit to your health.
NOTE: Ageless La Cure skincare products by PHYTO5® are 100% Swiss-made and organic certified passing through all the rigors listed below; PHYTO5® seasonal skincare products are 100% Swiss-made. Though not organic certified they are completely holistic and made of all natural plant-based ingredients.
The 6 Tiers of Organic Certification for Skincare Made in Switzerland and Imported into the U.S.
- Organic certification is required from the ECOCERT organization for European manufactured products as well as products from a number of other countries and the products are clearly marked as such.
- European Union regulations for skincare products are very stringent and require many toxicology tests to verify them as completely harmless.
- Toxicology tests on skincare products are conducted not only at the time of inception/formulation of the product but for every production batch.
- European-made organic skincare including Swiss-made bears the professional organization COSMEBIO® icon which designates the product as natural, eco-friendly and organic.
- Only in Switzerland, the government conducts regular inspections of manufacturing plants to asure they are using good manufacturing practices.
- Organic skincare must additionally pass USDA organic certification once in the country.
Introduced in 2003, the specification was drawn up in conjunction with all stakeholders in the value chain, i.e. experts, suppliers, manufacturers, distributors, consumers and development organizations. Ecocert currently supports and guides more than 1,000 companies through their certification processes.
The basic principles of the Ecocert standard: To ensure an environmentally friendly cosmetic product, the Ecocert standard lays down:
1. The use of ingredients derived from renewable resources, manufactured by environmentally friendly processes. Ecocert therefore checks:
- absence of GMO
- synthetic perfumes and dyes
- animal-derived ingredients (unless naturally produced by them: milk, honey, etc.).
- biodegradable or recyclable nature of packaging.
2. A minimum threshold of natural ingredients from organic farming to be reached to obtain certification: For both labels, Ecocert Standard imposes that a minimum of 95% of the total ingredients come from natural origin;
- For the natural and organic cosmetic label: A minimum of 95% of all plant-based ingredients in the formula and a minimum of 10% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic farming.
- For the natural cosmetic label: A minimum of 50% of all plant-based ingredients in the formula and a minimum of 5% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic farming.
/!\: Some ingredients very frequently found in cosmetics (water, salts, minerals) cannot be certified as organic because they are not sourced from farming. For example, shampoos and some creams, mostly composed of water, contain between 10% and 40% organic ingredients, and always 95% natural ingredients. An essential oil, which does not contain water, can be up to 100% organic ingredients.
3. On-site audit is performed by an Ecocert auditor. Click here to get the document for Organic cosmetics and here for the Ecoproducts Ecocert’s private standards.
#organic #natural #skincare #beauty #esthetics #Swiss-made #holistic