It's summer and it's party time! It's a fun time anyway, but when you live in harmony with the seasons as illuminated by the Five Phases of Traditional Chinese Medicine, celebrating summer can take on a whole new meaning if you really do it right.
Summer is characterized by the element of Fire, the color red and the emotionality of joy and exuberance. It's a flowering, expansive, outgoing, social kind of season and of course, heat is associated with it!
In addition to the obvious barbecue shindigs and picnicking get-togethers, you can elevate your celebrations and really dive into what it means to live in harmony with the season by applying a few Feng Shui principles to your home, property or party site:
- Brighten the path to your party with solar lights, torch lights or luminary bags.
- Host a late night bonfire for friends.
- Throw open your curtains and let the sunshine cleanse your home of mold spores and bacteria and it will draw energy into your home.
- Light a lamp with a red lamp shade inside your home.
- Enjoy the evening on your porch with an oil lamp lit nearby.
- Be a kid again and stick some pinwheels in the ground; the petals are sharp and pointy (the symbolic shape for summer) and make sure they're bright in color as in red, orange and yellow; pinwheels resemble sunbursts.
- Grow some sunflowers and bring them into the home, or really, any summertime flowers, for that matter.
- Keep it bright by day and lit by night and celebrate well the Fire element's blazing movement and joy!